torsdag 23. februar 2012

wuthering heights

"Wuthering Heights is the wild, passionate story of intense and almost demonic love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, a foundling adopted by Catherine's father. After Mr Earnshaw's death, Heathcliff is bullied and humiliated by Catherine's brother Hindley and, wrongly believing that his love for Catherine is not reciprocated, leaves Wuthering Heights, only to return years later as a wealthy and polished man. He proceeds to extract a terrible revenge for his former miseries" 

I just finished reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and I can't help but thinking of a tune I recently discovered. It's called Je t'ai menti, which basically means kill for lies. The chorus goes "We kill for lies. Murder or loved to save our pride. Love poisons truth [...]". I started reading this novel for two reasons. 1 I want to read as many classics as possible. 2 The mention of it in The Proposal. I have started reading it before, but stopped as the language was (and is) difficult at times. Especially as some conversations are written with a dialect. In other words, I sat in my room reading aloud in order to make any sense of it. It is a morose novel. And most of the time reading it, I was furious at Heathcliff. However, the end of the novel surprised me. It was happy, and not gloomy. I was a bit disappointed because of the description though. I had expected a dark love-story ala Jane Austen. However, I can't be disappointed in the novel for that reason. I'm not quite sure what I think of it. Other than the fact that it is a hard read, and very depressing. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar