torsdag 16. juni 2011

travelling with pomegranates


"A wise and engrossing book about feminine tresholds, spiritual growth, and the relationship between mothers and daughters, Travelling with Pomegranates is both a revealing self-portrait by a beloved author and her daughter, a strong new voice, and a momentous story that will resonate with women everywhere."


Another book review by me. What can I say? I really enjoyed the first bit, and looked forward to reading it. I picked it out simply because Sue Monk Kidd (The Secret Life of Bees) is one of the authors. And because it was a mother-daughter story. I did not read the description of the book, because there were none on the back of the book. It turned out that the description were inside the book ..on the last page. I don't think the book suited me, as I struggled getting through some of the bits. I had the same problem with Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's all this rambling, this time about Persephone and Demeter, Mother Mary, and other people/myths. I mostly enjoyed reading Ann Kidd Taylors part, as I mostly could relate to her. She is a daughter, and she struggles with the path in her life. Plus there is actually drama and action in her parts, whereas mostly of Sue Monk Kidd's parts are thoughts. Another thing that really annoyed me, is the feeling that they don't really let you in. They don't open up entirely. For example: there is a part where Ann Kidd Taylor suffer of depression. She does not describe her feelings well. However, in the afterword she claim that she wanted to write a novel about her travels. Conclusion - not the book for me. I am disappointed, and a bit angry that I've once again picked out a disappointing book. Oh well, next up is Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. I've heard it's a wonderful book - and I really hope so!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar