tirsdag 22. september 2015

Grab your bag and grab your coat. Tell the ones that need to know we are headed north

I was pretty sure I had work today until I got to work and my former nurse supervisor said: "though it's really lovely seeing you again, are you sure you're supposed to be here?". Apparently I wasn't supposed to be there, despite marking it in all my calendars. Somehow communication between Kiwi and I have failed. My co-workers all seemed bummed for me, saying "ah that sucks" or "that means you lost sleep? Well, go home and get back to bed". I also even met Sugar on her way to work and I explained what'd happened. To be honest I truly didn't mind having woken up this early on a day off. Also, I didn't really want to work today coz I knew my back aches would really be at it's worst today. The only thing I regret is running to the bus this morning, and not being able to enjoy the lovely sunrise. I ran in my new leather boots. They've really been tested today, as I decided to walk home from work rather than taking the bus. As I had expected, it took me about half an hour. It's a shame I was too lazy to get my bike out this summer, because it would take me ten minutes (more or less) cycling to work. Obviously I could still get it out now, but I'm not a very big fan of cycling when the cold starts sinking in. I get all sniffly. Maybe I'll start walking some times, like I did today. One of the things I bought yesterday was shoe wax for my leather shoes. I've never given this much care to any pair of shoes of mine before. But after walking home today I gave them a bit of wax. After googling a bit, I realise I'm a complete newbie to taking care of leather shoes. I guess you learn something every day. Recently I heard a very sexist comment, and it's not the first time I've heard it from this guy. The last time I basically told him off. This time I didn't because we were with a patient, and I didn't think it was appropriate. But it was a comment that burned and I was outraged. There's comments like that which are blatantly sexist, and there's all the other things that are less blatant, the things we don't even realise are sexist because they're internalised in us from birth. I just read a thing about women not wearing bras and showing nipples. And comments like "so what you're saying is that I'm allowed to see your boobs?", "it's inappropriate", or "respect yourself and others, and wear a bra" is examples of how ignorant people can be. People forget that a human body is the most natural thing that we possibly are. The main reason for us to wear clothes is to protect our bodies, like another layer of skin. Bra's were made for support. If men doesn't have to wear bra's, then why should women? And if women can wear bra's, why can't men? I think feminism is scary for a lot of men because they think they're being attacked, when it's all really about equality. Free the nipple move, I think is about letting all the sexes do whatever they want with their own nipples. I think it would be really nice to see a social media that didn't censor nipples, regardless of sex, as I think a breast is just another natural part of a body. And then it's the breastfeeding discussion. When pregnant, the mother's breast starts a process of making milk, for the baby to get their nutrients from. Would you think it was alright that it was frowned upon each time you have a meal in public? Like, whenever you feel hungry you need to go into a designated room or your own home, hidden from the public's eye to eat? Sounds ridiculous right? Then why are so many people frowning upon letting babies feed from a their mother's breast, their source of food? I watched this slam poetry about sexism, and it's truly brilliant. It shines a light on things that I didn't even think of were a consequence of sexism. Also, I read this brilliant post about gender identity, which I would really like for you to read. It's not until recent that I've given gender identity much thought, and that's because wonderful people like Laverne Cox and Caitlin Jenner has brought more light upon the theme. It's also because my Tumblr friend asked me once, about my own gender identity. I had to google it then, because I'd no idea what it meant. When I was growing up I never learned anything about gender identity, but imagine if I did. Why is this so important to me? I refuse to be one of the people in my generation to carry on sexism, and to carry on ignorance when it comes to gender identity. One day I might have a kid, and god forbid that they'll grow up unknowing. I will try to educate them the best I can. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar