søndag 20. januar 2013

the hobbit


Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum. 


I finally finished The Hobbit early this morning. I would've probably have finished it yesterday if I wanted, but it was beginning to feel like I was reading just to finish it. And there's no joy in that. To be honest, I had expected a slow and boring start. I knew it would probably build up to something exciting, and I'd be all wow! But the thing is, I quite enjoyed it right from the start. I think it was a smart narrative, because in my opinion, first person as the narrator, is the best when it comes to adventure fiction and an alternative universe. I'm very fond of the characterization of Bilbo Baggins. In my opinion, he seems like a little nerve wreck, who's mischievous and smart. I suppose it's a bit easier to read if you've seen the first Lord of The Rings movie. Also, I think I've got a head start, because terms like: goblins, dwarfs, stronghold, dagger, mithril, etc, aren't foreign to me. Once upon a time when I was about thirteen, one of my best friends at that time introduced me to this online game called Runescape. And we played it every free minute we had. Until we stopped, and now I log in approximately once a year to see the changes. Also, I get a lot of free things, just because I guess I'm an old user? And I used to play it a lot? Nevertheless, this is where I've learned all these terms that I used to think was completely without importance. But I've actually learnt a lot of words I still use to this day. So - yay, online games in alternative universes. But that's the thing, you kind of have to know of words like these in order to fully understand the whole thing. Otherwise, it'll be a bit difficult. If I were to explain the novel with one word,  I'd definitely go with funny. Also, it's very charming. And I've grown very fond of Bilbo Baggins. And now I really want to go watch the movie. But, as far as I've understood, there are supposed to be several? Is it supposed to become a trilogy like The Lord of The Rings? Also, I've read a few comments about it being average? I'm slightly worried, because the novel is actually really lovely. And I hate when movies based on novels are disappointing. Anyway, back to the actual novel. If you've watched the Lord of The Rings triology or The Hobbit, you've already got a head start, and the novel itself won't be hard to read. Also, The Hobbit is really good, and not long at all (if you're a fast reader you can read it in 1-2 days). 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar