lørdag 2. mai 2015

my eyes have always tried to see much further then my mind has understood

I don't often watch the news, my friends will confirm that to you. But an issue that lies close to my heart is the police brutality that's going on in America (obviously it happens all around the world, but it's mostly America that's been casting a light on the issue as of late). "[...] black men, like Freddie Gray, are 21 times more likely to be killed by police than white men". This picture, the cover of Time Magazine, I've seen on a lot of social medias, It's strange, the cover looks like a cover of a movie, and I've been watching movies about injustice growing up, and looking back at it, it feels like nothing has changed. Reading about Baltimore, Freddie Gray and the underlying problems is like watching a movie in history class. The problem with America, I think, is that capitalism is so deeply ingrained within the society, and it causes the winners of the society to become big winners, and the losers to become big losers. I could possibly throw in some statistics here, but this is not a paper. It's strange, and a bit disappointing, but until this whole issue came to ahead, I thought of the media, the news, as a way to tell the truths about this world. As it is, it's really not. Like anything else, it chooses a perspective to look at things. And I can't believe how any news channels in America is looked upon as legitimate, because from what I've seen, the news anchors are as objective as if I was to talk about my love for chocolate. The news have mainly focused on riots, on the violence and the damage the small percentage of the protests have started. They mostly never show the good things, do they. They're carefully choosing the colours to paint a picture. Martin Luther King Jr once said: "I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard". Open your eyes, look at the whole picture. The news in my own country is a lot more objective, not so biased. But I still think that when you choose to focus on something, you're leaving something (that might be equally as important, if not more) behind. And that is also a way of not telling the whole truths. Another thing I've accumulated from becoming so involved in this issue, is a distrust to any type of authority. It means not only that I've developed a mistrust to police officers, but to every person with some sort of authority. It doesn't have to be an official authority either. This morning I watched a Youtube video of a girl talking about being molested as a child. When you're a child, each grown-up has a kind of authority. You listen to what they say, because you're the child and they're the grown-up. At least that's what people seem to teach their children. This is not to say that I think everyone should walk around being paranoid, but to have a sense of apprehension. When something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right either. I feel strongly about injustice, and I so often wish that the world could be a lot better place. But I have to believe that things will change (although slower than a snail's pace). Knowledge is powerful, I've heard. It brings you awareness, and as long as you're open to learn new things, to realise that what you learnt then might be wrong now, to always look at something critically, I think you'll do well in this world. Right, I just saw a gif from The Land Before Time, as it made me very nostalgic and sad. I am going to grab something to eat, then continue reading research articles. Good day! 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar