mandag 24. juni 2013

don't ask me how, but ask me where

I was unlucky enough to fall asleep at 1:00 am, then to proceed waking up at 4 .. something am. And I tried falling asleep again. But after tossing around for an hour, I gave up-- on tossing around. Then I decided to see if reading and listening to really slow songs would let me fall asleep again. Yeah, that didn't work out either. When my alarm went off at 7:00 am, I rolled out of my bed grumpily. I sort of miscalculated my time as well, so I ended up running to my bus stop. Not the bus stop right beside my house. No, the one I usually use ten minutes walking to. I was contemplating whether I just should take the next bus, but I was afraid I'd be late. So I actually ran for 3 minutes. And I was there. And I didn't suffer from side stitch either. So I count that as a great accomplishment. I can't decide what I think of hospitals. There's this uncomfortable silence in there, only broken by the sound of footsteps and elevators opening and closing. Patients, visitors and employees are wandering around. And everyone is staring at each other, trying to figure out what's the matter with you. And you never know what people are thinking, never know if they will interpret your smile as something else than a nice gesture. But then there's the new parents walking past me with their babies in car seats ready to go home. And I have this fascination for everything. And if I wasn't afraid of pain, I'd find it fascinating to watch the needle penetrate through the skin and into a vein. Sometimes if I'm brave enough, I'll watch the nurse when she does it to me. But today I couldn't. The needle, or the hypodermic needle, was just too big. The nurse could sense my fear, and told me to look away. Actually, she was a really good nurse. Each time you give blood, you have to take blood tests just to check that your blood is indeed good to go. And I have a bit difficult veins sometimes, and in the past I've had nurses missing my veins multiple times. Resulting in quite strange looking arms (sort of looked like a drug addict to be quite honest). But this one did it at the first go. It's not that I'll complain about having nurses stick needles in my skin multiple times-- I have patience and I'm not actually scared of needles despite what I've written above. But I am scared of pain. And I would probably not have been so happy if the nurse had to stick the hypodermic needle in my arm again, because that one hurt quite a bit more than when you take blood tests. It was rather fascinating to see the bag of blood too, and surprising how much blood they actually draw. Now, you have to weigh a certain amount in order to do this, and I've drunk at least two liters of water today, which is ridiculous, but needed. When I saw the bag of blood it sort of reminded me of vampires. It was just sort of odd, and frightful to see that I've basically taken away something that is very important to my body. I was forbidden to exercise today, and I have to take these iron supplements. And that is possibly the worst aspect of blood donation in my opinion. Not the exercise thing, but taking tablets. I just have a really hard time with taking tablets, and I use like five minutes to mentally prepare myself. And now I have to take them for about three weeks? Oh dear. I didn't feel nauseous whilst giving the blood, which the nurse seemed a bit surprised by. But I did feel a bit dizzy once I got home. So I took my iron supplement and drank about 0,5L water. It's safe to say I've been visiting the loo frequently today. I do, yes, feel it in my arm. I don't quite have the same energy in the arm I drew blood from as the other. And I do feel tired, which lack of iron does to you. But I had expected that already. The weather is going bonkers. It was absolutely pouring down with rain today. And then it's been alternating with overcast and the blue sky peeking out once every while. I sort of wish it would have been pouring rain in the same magnitude at the concert on Friday as it did today. I'm going to grab something to feed my empty stomach now, and then I'm going to the cinema with Ale later. We're watching Man of Steel, and I've got absolutely no expectations to it. Nada. I only know it's a Superman movie that Ale has been itching to watch. Also, I think I'm a bit infatuated with Lykke Li's music. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar