mandag 10. juni 2013

to the moon and back

When Ellie Kendall tragically loses her husband she feels her life is over. But eventually she's ready for a new start - at work, that is. She doesn't need a new man when she has a certain secret visitor to keep her company.. Zack McLaren seems to have it all, but the girl he can't stop thinking about won't give him a second glance. If only she'd pay him the same attention she lavishes on his dog. Moving to North London, Ellie meets neighbour Roo who has a secret of her own. Can the girls sort out their lives? Guilt is a powerful emotion, but a lot can happen in a year in Primrose Hill ...

I went through the shelve I usually go through at the library, and I found this book. And I thought "well, might as well" (Who has "Might as well" tattooed on their body? 10 points to the one who guesses). I thought I had read a book by Jill Mansell before, but I was wrong. It was another chick-lit author. According to Wikipedia (yes-- Wikipedia), a chick lit is a "[...] genre fiction which addresses issues of modern womanhood, often humorously and lightheartedly". It's been a while since I last read a proper chick lit, so I figured I'd give this a go. And well, the start was really promising. The plot did remind me of Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes and PS: I Love You by Cecilia Ahern (I need to read the latter again, because it's been absolutely ages)-- the part about losing a husband. But this is entirely different, it's not as detailed in how to survive such a big loss. It's more about the acceptance and recovery part (although the whole process can be seen as recovering). It is very funny, and I found it very appealing to me. I'm very fond of this particular sentence: "She was single, Elllie had discovered, but currently was seeing someone called Niall who looked a bit like Simon Cowell and was brilliant in bed". I just-- is this a coincidence? Well, I certainly had a good laugh at that one. The thing about this book, is that it is very hilarious. And it's been a long while since I've read something so happy and light. I'm very glad I read this book, although I don't think it's something I'll remember in the future. I'm not going to lie and tell you that this book blew my mind. And I found the ending a bit disappointing, because it was rather obvious. Nevertheless, if you want something easy and funny to read, I'll have to recommend it. I'm just going to leave you with another quote, because I think it sort of speaks for the novel: "Yesterday as she'd been in the process of moving out, she'd seen a used condom lying on the ground by the front gate. Instead of being repulsed, her initial response had been relief that someone had at least bothered to use one"

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar