tirsdag 25. november 2014

FOUR

I've been a fan of One Direction since 2012, but they've existed since they got put together on X Factor UK in 2010. And during the four years they've been together, they have released four albums, which coincidentally happens to be one of the reasons for why their newest addition is called FOUR. During the live stream Harry said that the previous albums had names that followed a pattern, but this album is a bit different, more of a statement. So they felt it was natural to have a title that was more bold. Despite previously releasing three albums, it might have taken them this long to find "their" sound. They've said multiple times that this is an album that they would listen to themselves, and I'm not so sure they could have stated the same with their previous albums. In a review by Victoria Patneaude, she wrote: "While 2013's Midnight Memories hinted to the direction the quintet was leaning towards, it wasn't as coherent of a piece, genre jumping with each track". I thought that was brilliantly written, because it's true. Midnight Memories is a very confusing album. Even more confusing I thought, was when the lads kept saying MM had "a more mature sound" when it sounded very alike their previous albums. When I first heard FOUR, I was very surprised by the fact that it sounded like a proper put-together album. That being said, I have (and do) loved their previous albums, and I think it's strategically smart to change their sound slowly, because they would probably lose a lot of fans if they went from the sound of Up All Night til' FOUR. Though it is a much more coherent album, Patneaude stated about Steal My Girl that: "as the first single, it is very misleading to what actually follows". Traditionally, I think musicians would choose a single based on something that would represent their whole record. I might be wrong, so don't quote me on that. But Steal My Girl is perhaps the ugly duckling in this record, not meaning that it's horrible, it's just different. Liam and Louis seems to have been very involved in the writing process, which they also were last time around. As I've mentioned earlier on this blog, after watching the live stream I was surprised to learn that the boys in fact are very aware of the opinions of their fans. One of the most interesting things, about having a physical copy of their CD's, is to read the thank you notes. I don't know of any other artist that writes so detailed thank you's. They thank their body guards, caterer, vocal coach, etcetera. And they never forget to thank the fans, which I think might be one of those things I'll remember them for. All in all, I think this album is brilliant, and it is a statement as Harry pointed out. I own a physical copy of the CD, and it's even apparent in the design that they've changed their style. For instance, the CD is blue rather than red. Admittedly I only own all of the extended versions, so the colours might differ from the normal CD's. Anyway, it's a coherent album, and the songs are more guitar-based, which will be brilliant for their tour(s). I must say though, that the extended version, with the four added songs sort of ruins the coherent sound of the album. I am honestly a bit confused to as why they chose that concoction of songs. It is incoherent, and confusing. Below I will write a commentary to all of the songs on the album, maybe point out my favourites, and the ones I'm not so very fond of. 

Steal My Girl. As I've mentioned it is a very misleading lead single. I wish I could remember my initial reaction to this song, like my thoughts on it. All I know is that I was very surprised by the song, as it is quite different from their previous songs. However still "poppy", which I think was the reason behind why they chose it as a single-- so it could be a bridge from their previous work to their new sound. Admittedly it's not one of my favourites from the album, which might be because of the lyrics: "find another one 'cause she belongs to me". A woman, or girl in this case, is not a possession, and therefore can't "belong" to someone. I do understand that the boys or the other writers probably didn't have the intention to give the song that message, but still. I enjoy it when people with power do good things with it. Despite all this, you'll most likely hear me belt out the lyrics to the song anyway.

Ready To Run. This was the third song to be released from the album, and it was such different sound from the lead single, it took me a bit time to understand where they were going with their sound. The chorus reminds me of watching a Disney movie where the protagonist is getting ready to fight the horrible and invincible enemy. But I do actually quite enjoy it, and I do always sing along to it. One of my favourite part of this song is actually the end of it, and I wish Zayn would continue the song and end it in adlibs and whatever he wants to do with his voice.

Where The Broken Hearts Go. This was the fourth song to be released, but I heard a very bad quality version of this song right after Ready To Run had been released. I heard the first verse of it and I fell in love with it. I was sure it was Harry singing the first verse, but it was pointed out for me that it was in fact Niall. As he is my favourite, I instantly became more fond of the song. I will admit that I'm still a bit unsure about who sings what in this song. It is an upbeat song that gives me similar feelings to when I listen to Loved You First from Take Me Home. And because Harry wrote the song, I'm just going to believe that it's about Taylor. I look forward to singing and dancing (I've made a dance routine already. Joke) along to at their gig (only seven months to go, then), as I'm 97,8% sure they'll perform it.

18. I love Ed Sheeran if you didn't already know. I think he writes brilliant lyrics, but that might just be me romanticising him as a lyricist because I adore him. Once I read "18" at their track list, I knew Sheeran was the writer behind the song. It's always a bit funny to have the lads sing a song by Sheeran, because they switch over to a British accent. It was a bit perplexing the first time I heard the song, and Niall sing "chance" in a rather British accent. I hope someone asks him about it one day. I read somewhere that this song was clichéd, and could have been swapped out. I disagree, because I think that most songs are clichés, and they happen to work anyway. Also, I think it has a really nice build-up, and I am crossing my fingers that they'll perform the song on tour. 

Girl Almighty.
 This is one of the songs I restrained myself from listening to once the album was leaked. According to Kiwi it wasn't the greatest either, so I figured I wouldn't like it anyway. When I first heard this song, I was standing with a box of cake in my hand, waiting for the metro with a full bladder that was about to explode. Can't say I was very impressed by the song, but it might also have just been the situation. I've listened to it a few more times now, and I must admit that I have taken a liking to it. Despite the fact that the lyrics are unimpressive, the melody is all over the place, and Liam doesn't properly enunciate in the first verse--- I find myself bopping my head along to it (and belt the wrong lyrics out). The repeating lyrics might be unimpressive, but works in my favour, as it's much easier to remember the words. My favourite part is when the second verse starts, because I really like when Louis sings with his raspy voice. I also appreciate Liam's falsetto. 

Fool's Gold. This song is a bit like chocolate melting on your tongue, I think. Like the first verse, when Niall is crooning, it feels a bit like floating on water. Very relaxing. I am in love with the lyrics, because I think it's an important theme. It's also very angst-y, and reminds me of the song Harry wrote for Ariana Grande (Just A Little Bit of Your Heart), and The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez. In fact it reminds me of all the other songs about unrequited love. "I knew that you turn it on for everyone you met. But I don't regret falling for your fool’s gold". And my goodness, I do love all the sad love-songs. This song feels a bit like FOUR's More Than This, when I think of it. But yes, I feel very calm when I listen to it.

Night Changes. This is their second single, which first baffled me because it's really slow. Not that they haven't ever used slow songs as singles, but I don't necessarily think it's the outstanding tune of all their slow ones. However it somehow reminds me of Christmas, especially the part where Liam sings his falsetto-part. I think that is sometimes sounds like something that could be on Love Actually or a John Lewis advert. It is really beautiful though, and I think it's good for all of their voices. There's just something about Harry crooning "I'm only getting older baby, and I've been thinking about you lately". Think they did good live for the first time as well, and all the other times they've performed it. I really love Zayn's voice in this song, especially when he sings the bridge, and he always looks so breathtaking when he sings it (well, he looks breathtaking most of the time). 

No Control. "Taste on my tongue. I don't want to wash away the night before". Someone wrote that this was a bit racy song, and I didn't realise until I had read that. But I figured that it could be very innocent song, despite that line, so I went to read through the lyrics, and now I'm not so sure there's "[...] still a trace of innocence". Lol. The first time I listened through the album, this was one of the songs that surprised me the most, because it's a bit different, isn't it? It's a bit edgier, like Niall explained this album. I can't pick point what exactly, which frustrates me, but it sounds so good. I guess it sort of reminds me of a mix of The Killers and someone else. And I am totally on-board with that. It's probably good my music taste is so wide, or else I might'n't have liked this.

Fireproof. I can't listen to this song without thinking of "praksis" now, as it's around that time I listened to it on repeat every day. According to my iTunes I've listened to it over 200 times, which must mean that I like it? It's my (and a lot of others) first taste of FOUR, and I was gladly surprised to hear the change of direction. I do really enjoy the simple production, which I guess can come off as a bit boring, as it's almost the same throughout the song. Whenever I listen to it, I can't help but think that it's about Louis and Eleanor, who have been together for years now, "it's been so long, maybe we're fireproof. Cause nobody saves me, baby, the way you do". In the live stream, Louis and Liam said that they were proudest of this song. Kudos to them for writing so much and having so much musical input. 

Spaces. It's a song about a theme that sort of hits home. Someone on Tumblr wrote "what if it's about them and splitting up". Obviously it's not, but it definitely put a picture in my head, which I can't get rid off now. Especially as Niall sings "who's gonna be the first to say goodbye?", because he's probably their biggest fan, and I don't think he ever wants One Direction to be over. Now I can't stop imagining Niall begging the boys to stay together and crying, which, I don't think I want that in my head, thanks. It is admittedly yet another slow song, which I must admit is really surprising. They've not had this many slow songs on an album before?

Stockholm Syndrome. This is another of my favourites. I love it. It's simply straight up my street, my cup of tea, etcetera. They only sing the words Stockholm Syndrome once, which is Niall's part, and it's my favourite part. It is also the only part I know the lyrics of, ha. There's just the vibe of the song, which is quite 80's, which again hits home with me. It's a bit strange because it's Liam who sings the bridge, which is unusual for them.

Clouds. Along with No Control, this was one of the songs that surprised me the most. And I bloody love this song. It gets me really pumped up. Yet again, I can't point out what this reminds me of, but Green Day has been mentioned upon describing this song somewhere. I'm not so sure, because I don't listen much to Green Day. But it strangely reminds me a bit of Jonas Brothers' self titled album, which was a bit punk. Clouds is a bit punk-rock, I think, and I know it must sound strange that I love that, but I do. Also yes please to all the falsetto by Liam Payne. And I really enjoy the guitars in this song. I am curious as to how they decided on the name of the song though, as they've only mentioned Clouds twice in the song.

Change Your Ticket. My first thought was 1975. I've seen that none of 1975 have been credited, which I found strange. I can remember them being in studio together, but what I gather from Twitter is: "Lots of you have been asking if "change your ticket" was written by @the1975. Truth is @Truman_Black looked at helping out on it but @the1975 tour schedule got in the way and we couldn't make it work. X". Though it's not by 1975 it's highly influenced from their sound, might I say a rip-off? If they perform this song they should invite the 1975 to perform with them, probably. I know that Harry Styles (who was very vocal) really enjoy 1975's self titled album. As do Niall. From the extended version, this is one of my favourite songs. But it's also one of my favourites overall. I mean, I do love the 1975, which only makes it natural for me to enjoy this song too. Surprisingly, I actually know a lot of the words to this song.

Illusion. I'm quite neutral about this song, but it's probably the only song from the deluxe version that fits properly with FOUR. During the live stream Liam explained that the song is actually about himself and his girlfriend Sophia. However he didn't write it, he pointed out. In which Harry jokingly quipped that Niall had written it (Harry always like to make up rumours about Niall, though "Niall is pregnant" lacked a bit of credibility). Not everyone understood that it was a joke, but I mean, they have been spending a lot of time together it seems: Niall, Liam and Sophia (or should I say Sophniam). 

Once In A Lifetime
. Though this is also one of the songs that doesn't sound a lot like the rest of FOUR, I really love it. It's got a similar sound to Coldplay, and therefore I was instantly drawn to it the first time I heard it. Even the first word Liam sings, "once" sounds strikingly similar to Chris Martin. I hope Chris Martin has heard the song, and that he does a cover someday. I genuinely think this song could easily fit in Ghost Stories by Coldplay. It ends with "Once in a lifetime you were mine", which is just a bit sad innit? In the future, I hope that they'll make more songs like this one.  

Act My Age.
 What the fuck did I just listen to, was my first thought after listening to this song. Admittedly I had heard a piece of it just before the album was released. It was accidental, because I was watching a video that I thought was promo for their Christmas special with NBC. I didn't realise it was their song until I heard them singing the words: "Act My Age", and true to the things I've been reading, it's does sound like "pirate pop". I have listened to it quite a few times, because I wanted to write something proper about it. I suggest you listen to the song when you read the following: 00:00-0:46 Sounds like an Irish jig-song, or as they fans have said: Pirate pop. 0:47-0:59 switched over to dubstep, which reminds me of Ylvis. 1:00-1:36 back to the jig and pirate pop. 1:37-2:00 ah, the good old dubstep again. 2:01-2:16 hello Irish jig and pirate pop, I missed you. 2:17-2:33 sounds like the bridge of a Christmas song that belongs in Love Actually. 2:34-2:45 the only part that sounds like a proper song, I guess. 2:46-2:59 hiya dubstep! 3:00-and the rest of the song: ends with the same as it started: Irish jig and pirate pop. I can't believe the lyrics either: "when I'm fat and old and my kids thinks I'm a joke". I mean, wow, very good. A+++. Surely the boys must have been off their rocks to choose this song to include in the album? The only relief I feel with this song, is that none of the boys have been involved of making it. The worst part is that I now know all of the lyrics, and I can't stop laughing each time I hear it. If they do decide to perform this song, I expect them to dress up like little elves or summat. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar