mandag 23. juli 2012

Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

"When Lucy Sullivan is dragged by her friends Meredia, Megan and Hetty to visit a fortune-teller, she is not only one hundred per cent skint, but also one hundred per cent sceptical. Even when she's told it's quite literally on the cards that she'll be married within the year, Lucy is still less than impressed. For a start, a winter wedding is not exactly what she had in mind. And her flatmates are definitely against any possible change in their blissful routine of takeaways, wine, and men, happily rebellious in their unvacuumed flat. There's also Lucy's argumentative mother and irresponsible father to look out for. And of course the lack of a prospective spouse is a bit of a drawback. But when the fortune-teller's predictions for Meredia, Megan and Hetty start to come true at an alarming rate, Lucy's marital status becomes the subject of much speculation. Then Lucy meets gorgeous, unreliable Gus, and even she starts to wonder ... But there's also Chuck, the handsome American; Daniel, the world's biggest flirt; and Jed, the new boy at work. Could one of these really be the future Mr Lucy Sullivan?"

Wow, that was a long description. At least now I won't have to tell you the story line myself.
Lucy Sullivan is getting married is my favorite book. Probably ever. I can read it over and over again. And I still find myself smiling at every little detail. Every little funny piece Marian Keyes has written. I really love that woman! If there is one thing I'm certain I dislike in this world, it's book-snobbery. Just because some books are "easy-reads" or just plain cliches, there is no place for book-snobbery. For me, reading books are a way to escape reality. Some people would place this book in that category. The "easy-read" and cliche one. But I think they are horribly wrong. Lucy Sullivan is getting married is a novel, that includes both lightheaded romance and dreary problems. Most of Marian Keyes' novels are that way. I suppose that's where Marian Keyes novels are different to all other "regular" chick-lit. Because the dreary problems are in fact dreary, and well researched. Drugs, drinking, depression. These are only examples of what you can find in a Marian Keyes novel. And when I say well researched, I mean it. It's not like reading a story on Wattpad, where the protagonist has depression, and it's described through "dark days" and other bullshit. In Marian Keys' novels you'll get details. About everything. It is not for everyone - this novel. However, you know when you are sitting on some kind of knowledge or an idea, that seems to eyeopening to you. You want to share it with everyone, hoping that they'll enjoy it as much as you do. That's how I feel about this book. It is also a book that can make you laugh in between the most bitter moments, when the most obvious emotion would be cry. I think it is wondrous in both theme, characters and writing. I am simply stating my opinion. And that is: I love this book. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar