lørdag 14. juli 2012

one day

"15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their seperate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows?"

I've been meaning to read this novel for quite a while, but then again, I've been meaning to read quite a lot of novels for a while. I'll admit that I was slightly unimpressed in the beginning. Unimpressed because I have been reading Emma by Jane Austen the past weeks. And the language is quite a bit more upscale, or shall I say very Romeo and Juliet -esque. Well, at least to me, it is. But once I read the remark about travelling: "Avoiding reality more like", I decided that I liked it. Throughout part one, and perhaps part two as well, it distinctly reminded me very much of Where Rainbows End by Celia Ahern. But what I fell in love with, was the relationship between Emma and Dexter. I felt like reading Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married by Marian Keyes. Wow, a lot of mentions of authors here. 'Suppose this novel is right up my street then. Emma and Dexter are like two bickering friends that both loathe and love each other. And it really is amusing. Like, as in funny. And if you haven't yet understood, it's kind of a love story, where Emma is in love with Dexter, and Dexter is in love with Emma. But no one wants to admit. And then there are just too many obstacles and bad timing. And then you go on reading, and think that Emma and Dexter getting together would be the ending. But as Maroon 5 sings, "All those fairytales are full of shit. One more fucking love song I'll be sick". I realised when they got together a whole hundred pages before the novel was ended, it was a bad sign. Something was bond to happen. Isn't that always what happens? Whenever you feel happy, you still have this little itch in the back of your mind. Because you know it won't last for long. But yes. I hope I haven't spoiled everything. And I must say that I am very impressed by the novel. I even liked it more than The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I suppose you should all go and get a copy, or find it in a library. And then you go sit in a coffe shop, or in your garden, or whatever - and then just read. It won't take you too long, and it will most likely bring a smile to your face. Perhaps tears, even.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar