mandag 26. mai 2014

favourite performances from the where we are tour

Last year I did this thing where I wrote about my favourite performances of the Take Me Home tour. I looked through the post the other day (maybe a week ago? Whenever I don't remember the day, I use the phrase "the other day"), and decided that I should do it for this year too. There are a few things that I don't like about the Where We Are tour though, so here's a list. 1. Although the stage is bigger for the WWA tour, I actually miss the TMH tour stage. I personally think it looked more impressive with the huge see through stairs and the flying plank(??). A slight update-- the stage was different in Croke Park, Dublin. It seemed even bigger (probably because the stadium is bigger), and a bit like a maze to be honest. I still like the TMH stage better though. Regardless for the bigger stage, I don't think they've been very good at utilizing the space. 2. I strangely miss the sense of something akin choreography. Maybe it's just me and my need for structure, but it's something I actually long for. I think their choreographer has loosened the ties a bit too much, because removing almost all sense of choreography also removes the performance aspect. However, I haven't really got a overview of all the performances (haven't actually seen performances of all the songs), so I can't really say much about it. And I know there's a bit choreography in some of the performances, so my argument is maybe invalid? 3. Another thing I miss is a cover song. They don't have any cover song at all. So they went from covering loads of songs on the Up All Night tour, to one at the TMH tour, and then none this tour. I think it's a bit sad, especially since I loved Teenage Dirtbag. And that my friend, was all of my complaints about the WWA tour thus far. What I am happy about is probably the lack of fire by the stage, because Harry is a proper klutz's, and he very nearly walked straight into the fire twice (if not more). We don't want no burn injuries. Also, there's fireworks! This blogpost will most likely be updated as well, seeing as the tour is only one month in. Next up are my favourite performances.

Better Than Words. I'm really not keen on the chorus of this song, but I do enjoy the verses. My main reason for enjoying this performance is because of Liam, Harry and Niall. For some reason they become very enthusiastic in this performance, and very dance-y. Well, I'm not sure if I can categorize Harry's flailing limbs as dancing, but in a Harry "world" it probably is. My favourite part of this song is of course Niall's solo. And that's before the crotch grab thing happened too.

StrongEverything about Zayn's voice is a favourite of mine in general, but my goodness. His solo before Niall's bridge is so lovely. That's it. That's the only reason why I really enjoy this performance, and most of the others too, because I just really love Zayn's voice. There's a few rumours going around that the new CD (of course they're making a new CD-- it's probably soon finished, and will probably be released in November some time) will contain a song with Zayn rapping? I am all in for that, man. I'm all in for Zayn singing me lullabies with ad libs.

You & I. Sometimes I'll listen to this song when I'm tired and it's late, and the voices will be really soothing. I really dislike the music video, and have tried to avoid it like a plaque. I can't even tell you how many times I've complained about it to Kiwi. I do however love the song, and it's maybe my favourite performance. And that's due to three things: 1. The Niam (Niall and Liam) harmonies during Zayn and Louis' verses. 2. Zayn's high notes (I really enjoy it when he mixes it up a bit). 3. When the whole crowd sings along. First time they performed this, I think-- Liam cried. I don't just enjoy Zayn's high notes, but also when he sings "we can make it if we try, you and I". It's strangely one of my favourite parts. I think I just really enjoy this song, and the vocals are so lovely.

Don't Forget Where You Belong. This is a favourite mostly because of emotional reasons. Whereas all of the other boys wrote songs about love, Niall wrote this song with McFly (one of the many boybands Niall likes to hang out with, ha). It's basically a song about not forgetting your roots, and about keeping "grounded". And I think that the song is one for the boys: "If you ever feel alone–don't. You were never on your own". Like, they spend so much time travelling, being so far from what they call "home", but they spend all that time travelling with each other. So in some ways they are each others home. When asked about which song they related the most to, all of them except Liam answered this one. I think especially the performance of the first night at Croke Park was amazing. Because, well, Niall was at home in Ireland, singing this song about not forgetting your roots.

Best Song Ever. In their movie This Is Us, they're all sat by the fire, and Louis says: "You know what it would just be amazing to be remembered, you know like a mum telling a daughter ‘the boyband of my time, One Direction, they just had fun and they’re just normal guys but terrible, terrible dancers’". I don't know if it was the first time, or the second, or the third, or the hundred time I watched the music video for this song, when I realised one of the meanings behind it. In the bridge, Louis starts singing "you know I'll remember you" and "I know you'll remember me". During this, the music video shows clips of them during the Take Me Home tour. And then Zayn sings "I hope you'll remember how we danced". So albeit it's an upbeat song, it makes me quite sentimental. Because I will always think of an ending when I listen to this song: the end of the This Is Us movie, the end of each gig (it's their ending song), the end of One Direction. On a happier note, I really enjoy the "oh, oh, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah" part. Just because I enjoy it when they allow the crowd to sing along. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar